The name Kampen, however, is not mentioned until 1277. As a result of its convenient location on the busy trade route between the Zuiderzee and the Rhine, Kampen quickly developed from simple settlements into a prosperous trading town, to become one of the most powerful and leading cities of northwestern Europe.
When the County of Holland went to war with the Hanseatic League this situation came to an end: the city was forced to choose a side in the war.
Kampen was originally more oriented toward the Baltic trade and commerce with the hinterland of the Rhine, and therefore in 1441 formally joined the Hanseatic League.
The city had much influence in the League; despite loud protests from the other towns in lower reaches of the IJssel and from other Hanseatic cities, the League agreed in 1448 to build a bridge over the river.
) is a municipality, a city and an old Hanseatic city at the lower reaches of the river IJssel in the Dutch province of Overijssel.
The municipality of Kampen had a population of 51,278 in 2014 and covers an area of 161.79 km (62.47 sq mi).
Kampen is located in the North West of Overijssel and is the largest city in this region.
The city of Kampen itself has around 35,000 inhabitants.
Kampen has one of the best preserved old town centres of the Netherlands, including remains of the ancient city wall (of which three gates are still standing) and numerous churches.
Also notable are the three bridges over the IJssel which connect Kampen with IJsselmuiden and Kampereiland, the agricultural area between the branches which form the IJssel delta, and a windmill (d' Olde Zwarver - the Old Vagabond).